4 Feb 2014

Back at it, again!

No, I am not talking about the weather... although there is yet another storm warning in effect right now (could be 25 cm of snow overnight). Maybe the kids will get another snow day like they had last week.

Wendy and I are going to be running another stained glass instruction evening for some friends in a few weeks, so I decided I needed to start looking at potential beginner projects that didn't look much like beginner projects.  I plan to have a series of projects for the participants to select from, and when they arrive for the 3 hr session, I will have all the materials ready for them to get right into learning how to do stained glass. After a few short hours they will be able to take home their very own piece.  We've done this a number of times (for our Iceland fundraising), but this time is just for fun.

Below is one of the projects that I am thinking of suggesting.  Since it looked pretty simple to me, I decided to try making it.  How could I honestly say that it is easy to make if I had never built one?

8" Koi stained glass
It worked out quite nicely! Even better, it took only about 2 hr to make (the first hour was rearranging my workbench so I could actually make something - what a mess it was!). I used opaque glass that would be fine to hang either in a window or on a wall. The feature colour is orange, although the other side of it is mostly red.  Although I've seen real koi in various colours, I prefer the orange myself. Wendy actually likes this one, but we can't decide where to put it.

I think it will definitely go on my project list. Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment