12 Nov 2019

My new favourite charity

Well, today was not a good day for us. We found out the results of the pathology following my recent surgery. The short version is that my new favourite charity is likely going to be the Thyroid Foundation of Canada (https://thyroid.ca/).



I have been diagnosed with stage 4 anaplastic thyroid cancer (https://columbiasurgery.org/conditions-and-treatments/anaplastic-thyroid-cancer). This is probably the worst diagnosis that was possible under the circumstances, although the pathology results suggest that it is not completely consistent with classical anaplastic thyroid cancer. This is one of those times when my 'being weird' might be an advantage! Let's hope that this is a less aggressive version of the disease that we can combat effectively.

As for the near future, I will likely begin treatment planning by the end of this week (this is an aggressive cancer - not something you want to delay for long). Depending on the plan, I may have a long road ahead of me with regards to medical appointments and not feeling well.

Eric

2 comments:

  1. We miss you, Eric!! We wish you all the best and hope to see you back in class. May you have a full and speedy recovery.

    Keeping you in our thoughts,
    Your cell bio students

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Eric! You've always been a very positive person and I hope that you get well soon!!

    - Hasmik

    ReplyDelete